I bet you think I’m pretty crazy in suggesting that you should be fasting every day. The word “fast” likely makes you think about not eating, right? And not eating on a daily basis seems unhealthy and downright dangerous, right? Well, while not eating on a daily basis will certainly be the cause of your inevitable death, not eating for a certain window of time will bring your glorious health benefits.
This is called “intermittent fasting” or “feasting and fasting” and it’s actually pretty cool. It involves eating everything that is necessary within a certain time period and not stepping outside of that frame. For example, you can try feasting from 12pm- 8pm, and fasting from 8pm- 12pm or maybe 12pm- 7pm, 1pm- 5pm (for the hardcore) 11am- 6pm, or just about any other window that fits your lifestyle (though closer to bed time you probably don’t want to be feasting).
For the hours when you are not feasting, you are fasting and it is as simple as that. *also note that you do not need to eat continuously during the feasting period… just only use that period to eat your scrumptious foodies!*
The uber cool thing about this type of fasting is that it does not only aid in weight loss, but has profound positive impacts on our overall health.
Health Benefits of Fasting
- When we fast, cells die which then activates stems cells that then start the regeneration process. New cells= a healthier body= a healthier us.
- Many studies also link period fasting with lowering the risk of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Intermittent fasting is said to stabilize blood sugar by improving insulin sensitivity. Too much carbs and sugar makes us insulin resistant which opens us up to chronic diseases like cancers and diabetes, and regular fasting is a way to keep our sensitivity to insulin up.
- Our body works to create energy. During the periods of fasting our body will naturally process what’s there into energy. But when there is nothing there, the body will convert fat into energy which of course is where weight loss comes into play.
- According to the always helpful Dr. Axe, fasting can help normalize ghrelin levels. Ghrelin is the hunger hormone and when we get into the practice of only eating during a certain time frame our body becomes more in tune in telling us when we actually should eat. This helps us to not over eat.
- Would you believe that fasting and feasting also slows the aging process?! Fasting helps the body create the human growth hormone which is directly linked with the aging process. When the body produces less HGH it tends to age faster so obviously when it produces more it works on the other end of the spectrum… happy days 🙂
- Fasting gives your body a break from the process of breaking down food. Our bodies are not designed to eat all throughout the day. It takes time for the body to do its thing and it is really helpful to allow it time to digest before loading in more and more within the 24 hours.
- Many believe that fasting is a spiritual thing and can cleanse the crown chakra. ‘Nuff said.
Things to Keep in Mind
- This is not a quick fix.
- This is not about starving yourself.
- It is best to consider this a lifestyle and to make sure that what you eat when you are feasting are well balanced meals.
- Ensure that whatever window you choose to eat during is filled with nutritious foods. Plenty of veggies, including leafy greens, fruits, protein, and at least 2 litres of water.
- The friend to all (the internet) has plenty of many of sites that help you create well- balanced meals. These allow you to get everything you need within a day all with your personal dietary requirements in mind, and though the best ones might cost a few dollars, you can take advantage of plenty of free ones as well.
- The design of your fasting plan is up to you! Just stick to what works for you.
I eat within a 5-6 hour window most days and fast for the rest of the hours. My days always include a green drink (green veg/fruit smoothie) and plenty of fruit- infused water. I drink water whether it is in the window or out of it.
Why You Should be Fasting Every Day
I think that it is pretty clear that fasting on a daily basis has incredible benefits. The body is our physical vehicle and we need to care for it in the best way possible. Giving your body a break from eating for a consistent period of time allows it to fine tune its processing and digestion and a fine- tuned machine always sings right. Fasting prevents you from eating unnecessary food at unnecessary hours and when done right can help you to make healthy choices in the food that you eat when you do feast. You can connect on a spiritual level and it is very cleansing to have a nice portion of the day where food is not your focus. Fasting is good for the body and the soul.
Remember that eating is good! Eating nutritious food is better! You should eat but should take care when you do it throughout the day. Consistency is a key factor in having a balanced life and fasting is a wonderful way to trigger consistency. I do not find that I am hungry when I wake up (except when on holiday/vacation) and instead my body has adjusted to the schedule that I set it to. I eat within the same amount of hours each day and really feel all the more light because of it. This is on more than a physical level which lets me know I’m on the right track :). Remember to check with a health professional first, do your due dilligence and research intermittent fasting more, and listen to your body!
- Let us know all your thoughts by commenting below ⇓
- Share this post by clicking share on the sidebar and if you haven’t already, don’t forget to subscribe on your way out 🙂
- Take care of you mind, body, and spirit in every action that you take!
- Keep peacing, babies!