“Happiness is when you feel good for no reason at all”
I want to share a quick story with you. I grew up with a wonderful, inventive, talented family, but they weren’t always the happiest people in the world. So many lived their days frustrated, stressed, angry and just pure unhappy. Unfortunately, so many in my family still live this way today along with a large volume of other individuals in the world.
As humans, we have varied emotions and they can change depending on so many factors. It’s ok to be down at times
and not always be some big ray of sunshine, BUT there is huge difference between an individual who is genuinely happy and one who is generally unhappy.
Have you ever been around a happy person? It’s great isn’t it! They make you feel comfortable. Happy people are easy to be around because their disposition is positive, they seem at peace in their lives, they laugh, and are proof that the world isn’t all bad, in fact.. it’s all good. It’s like nothing can dampen their spirits because at their core they have this unyielding happy fire burning.
My partner is this way. He’s the happiest person I know, and he gives me courage to appreciate life more. Believe it or not, we are here on this planet, in this physical form, to enjoy life. We are meant to be happy. That’s why it feels so good when we are happy and so ultimately low when we are not. Is that not something telling us something?!
You can be happy today with a few simple steps!
I grew up in an environment where happiness was almost a foreign emotion and while my life isn’t alwasys “monday, tuesday happy days!..” (you know the rest of the song) I’ve learned how to take simple steps that remind me how to be happy and keep it that way!
6 Simple Steps to be Happy Now
- Smile. Just smile! Practice this when you feel your brow furrowing and your forehead scrunching up. Smile whenever you aren’t smiling to get into the habit. Smiling is something that happens naturally when we are happy, and when we practice this action it sends a signal to our brains that we are happy, which in turn, makes us happy! Want some science to back it up? Check out this article on Scientific American.. and smile while you read.
- Change your Focus. It’s so easy to get bogged down in what’s going wrong, tying yourself in an endless loop of negative thoughts and feelings. Start training yourself! Whenever a negative emotion pops into your head, switch it. If it doesn’t make you feel good, do not focus on it. And if you must, switch that negative to a positive. You can do it! This is your life!
- Appreciate. Wake up in the morning and count your blessings. Rattle off, either aloud or in your head, what you are truly grateful for, and watch how you keep seeing more and more of those blessings in your life. Get into the habit of flowing gratitude instead of pouring out complaints.
- Breathe. Take moments to connect with your breath, you are alive!! You’re here. Take pauses and breathe. Get out of your head as much as you can and just focus on the fact that you are here. Everything is ok.
- Give Back or Pay it Forward. Do for others because it will make you feel good. There is a satisfying feeling that we get from helping others, a feeling that makes us feel good that we are making someone else feel good. The more charitable you are, the happier you will become. Keep it consistent, even if you think you have nothing to give, it costs nothing to be kind.
- Fake it Until you Become it. Have you watched Amy Cuddy’s TedTalk where she profoundly switches the old “fake it until you make it”? In case you missed it, I’ll add the link here, it’s a phenomenal talk and so worth the watch. I spend my days dreaming, pretending (if you will)! Envisioning my life as I want it, talking about it as if it’s already happening, and eventually my wants come into fruition. Whatever you want, including being a happy person, is yours! Fake it until you become it.
Like anything in life, it takes practice, but being happy can be achieved with the simplest of steps. Want more happy help? I’d highly, completely and fully recommend Excuse Me Your Life is Waiting: The Astonishing Power of Positive Feelings by Lynn Grabhorn, it’s one of a kind and it changed my life like no text has ever done before. Please comment below after you read it (or if you have read it already) and let me know your thoughts.
I’m still on my journey, but I’m happier than I’ve ever been in my life, and understanding how to always get back to that happy place means everything to me.
How do you get to your happy place? Make sure to comment below!
Want more MindBodySpirit inspiration? Click here! Don’t forget to subscribe!