Plopping Curly Hair- You So Need to Try This if You Have Curly Hair!
Let us begin with a moment of sheer exultation, and why? Because it’s Natural Hair Friday that’s why!! So wooo yeah yeah and hooray for today! NHF’s are a weekly reminder for all of us to honor those amazing fibers that grow from our head and isn’t it amazing to learn new/valuable ways to treat our curly whirlies? When it comes to curly hair most of us want the same thing and defined curls are certainly among those wants! So today let’s learn a simple trick for achieving such results with a method called plopping.
What is the Plopping Method
This is quick to do and oh so handy! Not only does it help with curl definition, it also speeds up drying time and allows you to dress/do some makeup without disturbing the curls, or slimily easing into your top/dress! It involves plopping your hair atop the cloth of your choice and leaving it there to define baby define. All you need is:
- A microfiber towel or t-shirt
- Your favorite styling products
- Your wet natural hair
…and hazaaa the plopping method with all its ease!
Why the T-Shirt/Microfiber Towel Over Regular Terry Cloth Towel?
In the curly hair world you will likely have heard that you do not want to use a regular towel for your hair plenty of many of times. But why exactly? Well think of your car, a cherished wooden surface, an expensive pair of shoes, or even your dry-clean only special clothes. You cannot clean them with just anything, oh no! You must take precious care with precious things and your hair is no exception. Terry cloth towels can be very rough on our hair and are one of those factors in unnecessarily dry hair as well as frizz. Which are just *surprise surprise* unnecessary! So make a conscious choice and choose a material that is delicate on the hair and still serves the same purpose!
How to Plop… Lol!
- Take your microfiber towel or t-shirt and place it on a flat surface (for a shirt make sure that the collar is facing towards you though some people do achieve it the other way)
- Cleanse or co-wash your hair or do the Curly Girl Method
- Split your hair in 2 or more sections and rake the curly-friendly gel of your choice into each section
- Flip your hair over (you might find it easier to rake it forward to do so)
- Plop it onto your cloth
- Grab the section furthest from you and move it/place it to where it covers the back of your head
- Take the sleeves or the material that is closest to you (by your forehead) and tie it around your head
- Tuck any hanging fabric
- This should stay in place with no issues and you can either leave on for 10-20 minutes, release, then let air dry or leave on overnight if you prefer
- Untie the knot, let your curls loose and enjoy the super definition!
Rake it Forward
Bring Material Forward
Tuck it and then Go!
It’s that simple ladies and oh aren’t the greatest joys in life? I do this once a week on *surprise surprise* Natural Hair Friday’s and am so thankful for it mainly because I’m an air-dryer and before I learned this method had the most uncomfortable time putting my tops/dresses on after hair wash day. With this method my hair is all secure and getting that good good definition without the slimy after effects! Hello easy life!
2 Minute Video Tutorial With Microfiber Towel
The plopping method is one of those methods that just makes life so much easier! I cannot even believe that I used to dry my hair in any other way and I enjoy the extra definition boost that it gives! What more can us curly-women ask for? Well I suppose we will save that for the next NHF! All in all this is something that is a must for all my curly ladies and I promise you’ll love it!
- Enjoy NHF’s as much we do? Never miss a beat by subscribing darlings!
- Let us know what you think of this post by commenting below ⇓
- Sharing is caring so go on and let your social friends in on the plopping joys of life!
- The NHF fairies say “you never have a scare when you look after your hair!”