Hey precious-es-es! It is Natural Hair Friday! Whoop whoop! And today we are honoring our natural
“hurrrr” by reviewing the Shea Moisture line.
If you are a curly girly like me then it is very likely that you already know allll about this line or at least have heard about it. Shea moisture is all over beauty blogs and and natural hair vlogs and so many ladies swear by it.
This Product is Everywhere!
One of the reasons that this brand is so popular because it is very accessible. When you are into natural living it can be a task to find products that truly fit our lifestyle. Some of my favorite products that truly fit the bill can only be ordered online which can be tricky when you want to quickly grab a product for immediate use. This is especially true with hair products that are free from damaging ingredients. When I lived in Ibiza and even in Liverpool my only option was to Amazon it whenever I wanted to try a natural curly treat as the most shops did not cater to my requirements.
However, when it came to Shea Moisture, it was not an arduous task to get my hands on many items in mainstream shops. This, of course was always a plus as most commercial shops sell conditioners, creams, and gels that are not curly- friendly. Knowing that I could easily grab a product without having to wait for it to be delivered certainly always made Shea Moisture a contender for product of choice (if living in the states you don’t have to worry about curly- friendly choice selection as there, we are spoiled for choice almost anywhere that you go!).
Ok but accessibility aside, is this line really as good as people make it out to be? Is everyone just using this because it is easy to get their hands on it? Read on and I will answer everything you need to know about this line.
Who are Shea Moisture?
Shea Moisture was founded back in 1912 and on just about every product there is a section called “our story” to which the makers describe their grandmother, Sofi Tucker’s, business of selling shea butter, African black soap, and homemade hair and skin concoctions. They let all customers know that SheaMoisture is her legacy. The company is very green, natural, and promotes ethical practices.
From their website:
OUR PROMISE :Safe and Uncompromising Beauty ;We leave out these harmful ingredients: No Parabens No Phthalates No Paraffin No Mineral Oil No DEA No Petroleum No Formaldehyde No Propylene
OUR ETHICAL STANDARDS: We are natural, organic, sustainably-produced goodness. Made with love for you and your body. Pioneering fair trade through Community Commerce at home and abroad. We strive to be sulfate free, paraben free and more, whenever possible. Tested on our family for four generations. Never on animals.
- In short, they check out for all the things that matter most!
Do the Products Work?
Sometimes when loads of hype surrounds something, we consumers get lost in the mix. We buy because we see it everywhere! All over social media, on the tele, billboards, ads and whatever else! However, many times all the hype only leads us to a big fat waste of money. Beware of ads that set out to tick us! This is not the case with Shea Moisture. The products work well with natural hair. Simple.
My Favorite Features of Shea Moisture
- You know I’m a stickler for ingredients. I am so happy with all my Shea Moisture products not only for what they leave out, but for what they add in. Plant- based, natural, all that good stuff for healthy hair. I love the creams as much as the gels and their conditioners really put a smile on my face.
- I’m also way in to the fact that the line is very cost- effective. It is not as cheap as Ecoco or As I Am but certainly not as expensive Deva Curl. The price feels right. Sometimes we love a product but are annoyed with the cost and feel like we are being ripped off. Shea Moisture is one of those lines that I feel is just right when it comes to the amount of the actual product, what’s in the product, and the cost.
- It lasts a long time. Simple. I bought the curl enhancing smoothie, curling gel souffle, curl ‘n style milk, and cream- gel in November 2016 and it is June 2017 now and I still have them, and they are still going strong. I change up my products every week so that my hair does not become too used to one product, but that’s still a long stretch of products!
- They all smell nice! I love this and every time I open that curl enhancing smoothie, I tell you..my nose starts smiling! My nose is always an indicator if something is good or bad, and with this me nose likey! Always a good sign.
- It works every time. I switch up the products that I use on a weekly basis. Every time I land on the Friday that involves my SheaMoisture products my hair turns out great. I get excited to use Shea Moisture for this reason.
Very Short Video Review + Tutorial
How I use the Products
- I have the the Curl ‘N Style Milk, Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Curling Gel Souffle, and the Frizz Defense Gel- Cream. I cleanse my hair using the Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Conditioner.
- I then use my botanical conditioner and make sure it feels like slippery seaweed, leaving my conditioner in even after exiting the shower.
- I scrunch with the conditioner in my hair.
- Once out of the shower I add the curl n style milk and the smoothie whilst my hair is flipped over.
- I then add either the gel souffle or the gel- cream.
- I place both hands close to my temple and slowly rotate my head into the normal position. T
- he hair lands as it wants.
- I add more gel to the halo then scrunch upwards.
- I use a cotton tshirt to remove any excess product.
- After the hair is dry I add some coconut oil for shine and softness. I sleep on a satin pillowcase.
Where Can I Buy Products from The Shea Moisture Line?
As mentioned above, if you live in the states you can practically get these products anywhere! Beauty supply, walmart, walgreens, target, cvs, and even local stores! If in the UK then Boots or Superdrug will likely have them or else beauty supplies. For places that do not have them in local shops, have no fear! Remember that the online world is always the shoppers best friend. You can shop for the best deals here on Amazon.
This line dominates the market because it works. There are many products to choose from and it doesn’t dent your pockets to try them out. If there is just one that you should try it is definitely the Curl Enhancing Smoothie though I find that the products really complement one another and would recommend getting two at a time. The products on this line are for all of us natural- hair wearing ladies and I could not be happier with this line!
- What is your go-to natural hair product?
- Try out any product from the Shea line and let us know how it works for you!
- Share any and all of your thoughts on this post by commenting below ⇓
- Hit those share buttons and don’t forget to subscribe on your way out to be the first to know about more reviews like these!
- Come back next week for more NHF– Natural Hair Friday!
- Have a great day, and keep peacing, babies!x